- This event has passed.
On 23-24 November 2016, INTRAC will be facilitating a two-day International Development conference around the theme of Vulnerability and Resilience at Weetwood Hall Hotel, Leeds. The event, hosted by the Leeds Social Sciences Institute and Centre for Global Development, will bring together civil society, policy-makers, practitioners, academics, private sector, as well as regional and international organisations to explore the role of interdisciplinary research in advancing the sustainable development goals.
On 1 January 2016, the UN officially launched the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. As part of a revised approach to “UK aid: tackling global challenges in the national interest” the UK Department for International Development (DfID) and HRM Treasury have announced the Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF), a £1.5 billion fund to advance the SDGs and support cutting-edge research that addresses the challenges faced by developing countries through:
- Challenge-led disciplinary and interdisciplinary research
- Strengthening capacity for research and innovation within both the UK and developing countries
- Providing an agile response to emergencies where there is an urgent research need
The conference has been designed around the RCUK and ESRC GCRF and UK Aid’s strategic priorities with the specific aim of exploring and reviewing the contribution of social science research to promote economic growth and the welfare of developing countries.
It has three main objectives:
- Raising awareness– providing participants with an opportunity to hear from academics with a strong track record of conducting research in developing countries
- Capacity building– engaging social scientists who have not worked in the international development field to engage with the demands of global challenge research to help build new capacity in this area.
- Exploring new connections and strengthening existing relationshipswith external partners, particularly in low-middle income countries
The intention is to provide a forum to debate current issues and explore new collaborations.
Find out more and register
To see the draft programme, find out more about the background to the event, and register, go to: http://www.lssi.leeds.ac.uk/events/esrc-global-challenges-research-fund-international-development-conference-on-vulnerability/