Civil society in Central Asia has played a major part in change within the region, yet it continues to face challenges in capacity, legitimacy and relationships with political and economic actors.
INTRAC has worked with a range of NGOs and social movements, donors and government bodies, across Central Asia and Russia for over 20 years. This has included large and small NGOs, civil society associations and networks, trade unions, women’s groups and local government.
In July 2018, the INTRAC board took the decision to close our office in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, at the end of 2018. We will continue to support civil society in the region as we do in other parts of the world, through combining our international expertise with the deep contextual knowledge and skills of local partners and regionally-based experts and trainers. Charles Buxton, who managed INTRAC’s office in Central Asia for many years, will remain in Bishkek as an INTRAC associate.
We offer flexible and responsive training, consultancy, knowledge-sharing and research aimed at developing and deepening values, approaches and systems appropriate to civil society in the region.
We focus on:
- Strengthening the analytical skills of CSOs through a unique blend of methods including training, action research, mentoring and relationship-building with local government.
- Conducting multi-country studies of regulatory and policy frameworks affecting civil society in the region.
- Advice and design of capacity development programmes for civil society.
- Online and face-to-face training and mentoring for civil society in our core areas of monitoring, evaluation, and impact assessment, organisational and capacity development, and programme design.
- Conducting evaluations and impact assessments.
- Promoting multi-stakeholder engagements and partnerships.
- Supporting organisations to find new ways to enhance their sustainability.
- Development of programmes of training and mentoring of consultants and trainers to improve high-quality capacity development support in the region.
- Sharing knowledge between different actors within countries and across the region.
- Promoting publication and dissemination of learning by practitioners from the region.
Resources from our work in Central Asia are available in English and Russian. Visit our Resources page for more details.
Analytical Skills Training Programme in Central Asia
Strengthening civil society capacity in rural areas of Kyrgyzstan
Final evaluation of Central Asia on the Move (CAM) Programme 2012-2015
Preparing the closure of the INTRAC office in Bishkek